Wood carving techniques
In wood carving, every tool serves for a different technique, below are listed
some of the most important tools and their exact uses:
- The gouge: a tool with a curved cutting edge used for carving hollows, rounds
and sweeping curves.
- The coping saw: a small saw that is used to cut off chunks of wood at once.
- The chisel: large or small, whose straight cutting edge is used for lines and
making flat surfaces.
- The V-tool: used for parting, and in certain classes of flat work for
- The veiner: a specialized deep gouge with a U-shaped cutting edge.
- The carving knife: a specialized knife used to pare, cut, and smooth wood.
- Sharpening equipment, such as various stones and a strop: necessary for
- A special screw for fixing work to the workbench, and a mallet, complete the
carvers kit, though other tools, both specialized and adapted, are often used,
such as a router for bringing grounds to a uniform level, bent gouges and bent
chisels for cutting hollows too deep for the usual tools.
Different carving techniques can
be applied with different tools.
Techniques of wood carving
explained in depth.
Types of tools used for wood
carving. Multi-functional wood
carving tools, hand tools, power
tools and complete carving sets.
Every wood type has its own
nature.. and since the wood
is not equally strong in all
directions, the design must be
arranged keeping this in mind.